Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) is the term used for the method of data verification used by computing devices to keep a check on the accuracy of data. The CRC system tracks the changes taking place in the raw data which is stored in the storage media.
The CRC errors simply define that malfunctioning of non-functional behavior of CRC. This can happen due to the corruption of system registry file, interrupted software installation, poor file configuration, or hard drive errors. CRC error is quite a noteworthy issue which needs to be resolved on an immediate basis or else it would end up damaging your system and causing you loss of data.
In this piece of article, we are trying to educate the Outlook users regarding the “Cyclic Redundancy Check” error. The error causes as well solutions are explained herein detailed manner.
The error message you get:
“File xxxx.pst could not be accessed. Data error. Cyclic redundancy check”.
Reason for the error:
This issue mainly originates from the corrupt PST file. The damage can occur due to bad drive sectors, damaged file system, virus, and malware.
The issue can be resolved using four different solutions. But first, you must close the applications in which PST files are being used.
Let’s uncover the troubleshooting methods:
Method 1: Recreate the File:
This method is suitable only for those who can take the risk on data stored in the PST file. Make sure that the data stored in the corrupt PST file is not of your use and you can afford losing it. Once you delete the file, the issue will be resolved and a new PST file will be formed on your device. With this method, you can get rid of the issues but the data will be deleted along with the PST file. So, go for this method only in the case where the data stored in the file isn’t very crucial.
Method 2: Fix the Driver Related Errors:
If the storage volume is creating the error, you can fix the error by scanning the volume using “chkdsk” utility. This program is mainly designed to scan the error and fix them. Follow the steps in order to run “chkdsk” tool on your device:
- First, go to the Start menu>>All programs and type ‘cmd’
- Type the “chkdsk /r [drive name], for the C drive of your device the command will be “chkdsk /r C” and the same command will be applying on other drives
- Now the program will scan the issue and the issue will be resolved
- Once the process is finished, restart your device and re-open the Outlook application
If this method continues even after using the tool, one can try repairing the PST file. Because the corrupt PST file can be another possible reason for this.
Method 3: Repair the PST File Using the scanpst.exe tool:
- Open the file explorer and type SCANPST.EXE in the search bar
- The default location of Inbox Repair Tool on Outlook is:
- Outlook 2016, go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16
- Outlook 2013, go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Outlook 2010, go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Outlook 2007, go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
- Open the SCANPST.EXE
- Click on “Start” to initiate the process of scanning.
- After completing the scan, the tool will display the results and fix the errors.
- Once the tool is done scanning, restart your Outlook device.
Method 4: Run SFC Scan
System File Checker is used to fix Windows system files including Windows DLL files, registry files, or other secure files. Sometimes due to the damaged file system or registry files, CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error happens.
The SFC scan discovers the file issue and swaps the corrupt or damaged file with a new one. The whole process can take about 5 to 20 minutes reliant on the size and volume of the file. To start the SFC scan, follow below bullet steps:
- Connect the storage drive
- Tap the Windows symbol to open the search bar
- Write cmd. Right-tap on ‘Command Prompt’ and choose ‘Run as Administrator’ from the options
- Type SFC /scan now in the cmd box and press the ‘Enter’ button to start the SFC scan
Once SFC scan is completed, reboot the system and try to access the files from the storage media.
Method 5: Repair with the Professional Tool:
If the SCANPST.EXE tool doesn’t fix the corrupt PST file, a professional tool is needed. The Recovee PST file repair tool can fix all sort of corrupted as well as damaged PST File. Also, the tool ensures the recovery of data without hampering is original quality.
Run PST Repair tool to Fix Cyclic Redundancy Check Issue
- First, open the DataRecovo Tool
- Tap on “Scan” to start the software
- Now search for the PST files.
- Search with “.pst” can also help you rapidly find the PST file.
- Now tap on “Repair” button. It will take a few moments to analyses the whole file
- To save repaired data, choose the folder which you want to save and tap on the ‘Save Repaired File’ button from the menu.