Microsoft Inbox Repair tool proves helpful as the first-aid kit when there is corruption in the Outlook data storage file PST. The need to use this tool arises when Outlook is not loading or is creating issues in opening the PST file. This tool comes handy to diagnose and identify problematic PST files. If you are getting errors in finding the path to a PST file or while launching the PST file, the data is crashing, you need to use the scanpst tool.
How scanpst.exe works?
Scanpst.exe is an inbox tool used to search and diagnose problematic PST files. It provides the error location to the computer so that it does not search through the entire mailbox. It diagnoses the personal folder files to check if data has been corrupted or if there is any other error.
Firstly, scanpst.exe evaluates the file structure. If it is not arranged in its appropriate structure, the inbox repair tool will correct the error with a reset and then it will recreate the right headers.
For most of the Outlook versions, this inbox repair tool stands useful. These contain Outlook 97-2002, Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, and Outlook 2010.
Finding/Download Scanpst.exe on the Computer
The file location for the inbox repair depends on the version of Windows you are using. Look for the required PST file or run a search for .pst files. You can use the browse button that will help in specific file identification. Make sure you have closed the Outlook program before beginning with the repair process.
The .pst repair tool will create a separate backup of the original .pst file. This file has the same name only the extension is .bak. It lies in the same folder with the .pst file, and you can get a copy of the source material that remains uncorrupted.
To run the Inbox Repair Tool, apply the steps given below:
- Firstly, make sure that Outlook is closed.
- Next, check if ‘Show hidden files and folders’ is enabled in your Folder options. The scanpst file is a hidden file, so you need to enable this setting to locate it. To check this setting, follow the steps listed below:
- Click on the Start menu and then go to the Control panel.
- Under Folder or File Explorer Options switch to the View tab.
- Make sure the Show hidden files and folders option is selected under the Hidden files and folders and then click Ok.
- Now, go to the location of your Microsoft Office installation.
- If you cannot find the outlook repair tool using Search, try to locate the file manually. Check the following locations for the file as per the version of Windows you are using:
64-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE16
drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE15
drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE14
drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12
32-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
drive:\Program Files (x86) \Microsoft Office\Office16
drive:\Program Files (x86) \Microsoft Office\Office15
drive:\Program Files (x86) \Microsoft Office\Office14
drive:\Program Files (x86) \Microsoft Office\Office12
- Double-click on the scanpst.exe file to open the program.
- Next, hit Browse to locate the corrupted PST/OST file.
By default, the PST/OST files can be searched in the following folders:
drive:\Users\<username>\My Documents\Outlook Files
drive:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
- Click on Start and the Inbox Repair Tool will scan the file and detect the errors if any. Click Repair if any errors were found and then click ‘Ok’.
After the repair process is complete, a report will be available. Click on the option ‘Details’ in order to access the additional information. Before you are going to repair.pst files, it is important to create a backup of the .pst file. This file is created at the reporting stage. It is important to save and name the file properly in order to stay assured that the file can be located at any time. After you have successfully created the backup, you can start the repair process straightaway.
Once the repair process has finished, you can see the status of the inbox repair tool. If the repair was successful, click ‘Ok’ and re-launch the Outlook program. You can also restart the repair process in case it was not successful at first as sometimes the repairs need to be done more than once. On the other hand, you can restore the backup files to the main .pst file using the copy and paste function. This may also help you to restore a functional inbox.