If you want to protect your online activities and maintain security on the internet, then, among multiple options, there’s one effective way.
It is to make your Windows 10 connect to a VPN even before you log in, i.e., the moment you switch your computer on.
But, you must be thinking about why you would want to do that. Well, sometimes, you connect your device to a public Wi-Fi network at a cafe. Public Wi-Fi networks are high-risk connections that need to be avoided at all costs.
But, if you’re still too keen on using them, then your entire device connection should be protected right before you even log into your Windows laptop so no hacker can snoop in.
While you must be signed in to your Windows account for this, you wouldn’t require any additional software except for the for Windows VPN.
If you’re new to VPNs and how they work, don’t worry. We’ll show you exactly how to use a VPN with Windows 10 in the easiest way possible.
Steps to Connect a VPN to Windows 10 Before Login
Follow the step-by-step instructions present in this guide to connect a VPN to your Windows 10 before signing in:
1. Adding a VPN Connection:
- Hover over the Windows icon at the bottom-left of your screen and right-click it. From the options, click on Network Connections.
- Select VPN and click on ‘Add a VPN Connection.’ After this, specify the details of the VPN connection.
- Mention the name of the connection, username, and password.
- Once you’re done, press Save.
2. Making a BAT File:
- Launch the Notepad app on your Windows 10.
- In the notepad, copy the code: c:windowssystem32rasdial.exe YourConnectionName YourUsername YourPassword and paste it.
- After this, you need to insert the VPN information that you had mentioned before.
- Properly safe keep the notepad document and exit it.
- Rename the file and change its format from TXT* to BAT.
- Save the document somewhere safe.
3. Creating and Scheduling a Task:
- Type down Task Scheduler* after clicking on the Win key. Click Enter after this.
- Visit the Actions panel present on the right.
- Hit Create Task.
- After this, visit the General tab:
- Mention a task name.
- Tick the box that says Run whether the user is logged on or not from the Security Options.
- Also, tick Run with the highest privileges.
- Select Windows 10 from the dropdown of Configure for.
- Visit the Triggers tab after this:
- Press New. From there, set Begin the Task to At Startup from the dropdown menu.
- Tick the Enabled box and click OK.
- Visit the Actions tab then:
- Press New. In Action, choose to Start the Program.
- Press Browse, choose the BAT file you previously created.
- Press Open > OK.
- Go to the Conditions tab:
- Disable all options by deselecting them.
- Lastly, visit the Settings tab:
- Tick Allow task to be run on demand.
- Untick Stop the task if it runs longer than.
- Press OK.
After this, you’ll be required to enter your account information to confirm these actions.
Once you’re done with these settings, your VPN will connect to Windows 10 as soon as you start your system and before you log in. You can disable these settings anytime you like.
The Most Efficient VPN Services for Windows 10
VPNs come with their perks and cons. While a VPN secures your connection and makes digital security possible for you, a low-quality Virtual Private Network (VPN) may collect your data and sell it to third-party sites.
This is why you should always use one of the most premium VPN services for Windows. However, if you’re not sure about which one you should go for, then here are the top VPNs we highly recommend to you:
1. ExpressVPN – The Best VPN for Windows
ExpressVPN is one of the most premium VPN services for Windows 10, 8, and 7 due to its robust security, efficient service, and great speeds.
You can actually torrent, stream, and play games on Windows using this VPN quite easily. Its service is great for streaming.
Using its 3000+ servers in 94 countries, you can unblock various streaming services in your country, like Hulu, AbemaTV, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, etc., and enjoy it on your Windows10 PC.
To protect yourself from your ISP’s snooping, it also offers multiple fantastic security features. These include AES 256-bit encryption, a Network Lock (kill switch), split tunneling, no-logs, and much more.
2. Surfshark – Budget-friendly Windows VPN
Next up, we have Surfshark if you’re looking for a light-on-the-pocket VPN service. Surfshark offers reliable speeds, security, and service for users to enjoy on their Windows devices.
Surfshark offers 3200+ servers in 65 countries that are great for streaming and torrenting.
Using these servers, we could unblock and enjoy quite a few geo-blocked services in our country. These included Sky Sports, Amazon Prime, American Netflix, Disney+ Hotstar, and HBO Max.
It also offers great security features to users. These included MultiHop, Whitelister, kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption, no-logs, etc.
This ends our guide to connecting Windows 10 to a VPN before you log into the system. While you could choose the VPN you want to connect to before logging into the device in the previous Windows OS versions, it’s impossible to do that in Windows 10.
This is why you should use a paid reputable VPN connection for yourself so you can stay secure on your Windows device at all times.
Next, can consider reading: