The Inbox Repair tool is an in-built utility that is designed to fix the common errors with Outlook files. It is the best way to fix the regular issues in a simple manner, and thus it is perfect to use for all Outlook user. The ScanPST tool can be used for free as it comes pre-located in most of the computing devices which have MS Outlook or MS Office installed. Though it is an official utility of Microsoft, it is not ideal to fix severe errors.
Many of times ScanPST recovers an empty file which means The PST file fixed by Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst) is empty or does not contain the wanted items. This can happen when the corruption or damage is severe and the tool is not able to retrieve the data from the affected file.
The major reasons for this error are:
- The severity level of corruption or damage is quite high.
- The Outlook PST file was not synchronized properly before corruption.
- Hardware or internal system errors.
To fix this issue, you need a professional PST repair tool. This tool is potent enough to deal with complex corruption. It is designed with an advanced mechanism and high-tech features and thus able to recover data from highly damaged or corrupted files in no time. It is an ideal option when the ScanPST tool doesn’t work in an effective manner due to any reason. This is an affordable way to recover your crucial data in the most secure manner, and combat data-loss.
Using a professional tool is recommended in every situation where ScanPST refuses to perform. Also, with this comprehensive tool, you can recover the media files from attachment along with emails content. Moreover, the PST repair tool works effectively with all Outlook and MS Windows version. This tool is perfect for novices due to its sorted interface and a fine line of features. So, in any case of PST file corruption, don’t waste your time on manual methods and give a try to a professional tool. Also, there is always a trial version available to start with, so you can check the quality and reliability before buying the subscription.
- keep a regular backup of your PST file to avoid data loss
- Do not try any random troubleshooting method as it can do more harm than that of doing good. So, always rely upon a specialized tool.
What is PST FILE?
Personal Storage file is a folder where Outlook stores all the data such as emails, calendars, contact, and tasks. Every user gets the limit of 2 GB for each .pst file. The major purpose of a PST file is providing the privilege of archiving the user-data on the local machine.
The main benefits of using a PST file:
- Free storage space for your mailbox folder
- Design your own file system by splitting or combining the mailbox folders.
- Search facility.
How to create an PST file?
- Go to the File menu and click on New followed by Outlook data file.
- Choose Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) and click OK
- Select the location to save the file.
- Next, in the File name option, type the name of your choice and click OK.
- In the name box, add a display name for your PST folder.
- Set the other settings and hit OK.
- Make sure the folder name is closely related to the file content.
- Mold the structure of folder as per your choice.
How to open a PST file?
- To open a particular PST file you hardly need to perform a step or two. It can be done by:
- Going to the File menu, move to Open and then click Outlook data file.
- Now, on the network drive, go to the desired folder, select the file you want to access and click OK.
How to locate the PST file:
If you are looking ways to find the new or old .pst on your system or want to add a PST file to your Outlook Exchange profile, try the below-given steps:
- On Windows 10 or Windows 7: Go to the icon named as “Type here to search” from the taskbar.
- Windows 2000 or MS Windows Millennium Edition: Click on Start and then navigate to Search, and then choose “For files and Folders”.
- On Windows Vista: Choose Start then Computer. Locate using the search bar from the top right corner
- On Windows XP: Click Start and then Search for the file.
- On Windows 95 and Windows 98: Go to Start and then point to Find. Then, choose Files and Folders.
- Now once you are done opening the search bar on your system, type “.pst” and hit Enter. Then click Find Now. Note the location of the file.
- Close the search Window and open Outlook.
- For Outlook 2010 users, you need to navigate to the File tab and then select the Account Settings from the Info menu. Again select the Account Settings and then choose Data Files from the prompted window.
- The Outlook 2007 or earlier users have to open the File menu followed by selecting the Data file management.
- Choose the .pst file of your choice. Keep on Select and then OK
- Rename the file or keep the default name. Click OK and then Close.
- Now you will be able to find the .pst in your Outlook folder list.
How to Export the .pst?
If you want to backup a specific portion of the PST file, you can generate a new file for backup and that will only contain the data you want to restore. This process is also known as exporting the PST file. By using this technique, you can export the important data folders, contacts or a Mail folder such as “Sent Mail”. Perform the below-given steps to export the data from your PST file for Microsoft Outlook 2010:
- Go to the File tab
- From the Outlook Options window, choose Advanced
- Click Export
- From the Import and Export Wizard, choose Export to a file and then click Next
- Choose the Outlook Data File (.pst) and then hit Next
- Pick the folder you want to Export and then hit Next
- Choose Browser and then select the location where you want to save the PST file.
- In the File name option, enter the name of your choice and then click Ok
- Click Finish
In the earlier versions of Outlook:
- Go to Outlook
- In the File menu, choose Import and Export. If the option is not available on, you may find it at the bottom of the screen, and then choose Import and Export.
- Choose Export to File and then click Next
- Select Personal Folder File (.pst) and then hit Next
- Click Browse and then choose the location for saving the file.
- Now, in the File name, enter the whatever name you want to keep and hit OK
- Click Finish.
Important note: After exporting the data, the design or format of the folder will not be exported and it will be saved in the default format.
If you want a hassle-free and direct export rather than following the complex method, try the professional PST repair tool. It will make your work easier and faster.
How to fix PST file corruption?
- The PST file corruption can occur due to numerous reasons such as:
- Hardware related issue
- The abrupt closure of Outlook
- Oversized PST file
- Virus or malware
There are two possible ways to deal with the PST file corruption namely running SCANPST.EXE tool and using a third-party tool. Both the recovery methods are provided here below, follow the best suitable:
1. With the SCANPST.EXE tool:
This tool is a free inbox repair tool offered by Microsoft to fix the common PST errors, and minor corruption. However, this utility may disappoint you in the case of severe corruption.
Now, let’s see how to work with this tool:
- first, right-click on the taskbar and then choose Task Manager
- Next, find and click the Processes
- Right-click on the Outlook and click Open File location. Here, you can find the scanpst file
- Click twice on the scanpst.exe file
- Select the folder location of the corrupted PST file
- Hit Start and the scan will start.
2. Using a professional tool:
PST file corruption must be recovered immediately or else losing your data becomes quite certain. Therefore, if the Inbox repair tool fails to fix the corruption, try a professional PST repair tool. This way you can seamlessly fix the severe corruption and restore the file data.
Guidelines for using PST files:
Here are few essential points you need to consider while forming a PST file for archiving your MS Outlook data:
- Make sure you are creating the PST file on your network driver, rather than creating it on the local C: drive of your system so that the PST files can be backed up on the daily basis.
- It is recommended to keep one file for each business and avoid making the oversized file. The file should not exceed the 500MB if you want to avoid damage or corruption.
- The PST file must be administered by departmental data retention policies so that indefinite existence of the files can be avoided.
In order to repair the Outlook PST file, you can utilize two methods one is using the Inbox Repair tool and other is using the Recovee PST repair tool. Here below we are describing both the ways to fix your PST file.
Use the Scanpst.exe tool for Outlook PST repair
Step 1: Close Outlook and initiate Repair tool:
There are two ways you can use to start the Inbox repair tool.
Automatically start the tool; Download the file for Inbox repair tool, click Open and then “Run” from the “File Download” dialog box.
Alternatively, you can manually start the Inbox repair tool by locating the Scanpst.exe file. This file is saved in a folder which can be hidden and thus you need to unhide all files and folder to search for it.
Step 2: Repair the .pst file:
Once the Inbox Repair tool is opened, look for the .pst file by typing the file name or path. Click Browse to locate the file in the Windows file system and click Start.
- Inbox Repair Tool must be running a few of times to fix the errors with your .pst folder (file).
- In some cases, you may fail to repair the .pst file incomplete manner. The permanently deleted files can’t be recovered in some cases.
Once you run Inbox Repair Tool, you can start repairing and recovering the Outlook items. In order to begin with your personal folder, you can recover the items to Personal Folder (.pst) file:
- Start Outlook, and if you select the multiple profiles in Outlook, be sure that the profile consists of the (.pst) file which you need to repair or recover
- Press Ctrl +6 open the Folder List view
- In the Folder list, pick the one from their recovered folders:
- Recovered Personal Folders
- Deleted Items
- Sent Items
Now, generate a new Personal Folder (.pst) on your profile. When you are done finished transferring all items, you need to remove the recovered Personal Folder (.pst) file. This includes the Lost and Found folder as well.
If you are done fetching your details, you can finish it. If you are done recovering additional information, you can view the recovered items.
If you are not able to repair the Outlook PST file, you can use the easy option i.e. Recovee PST repair tool. It will perform the Outlook PST recovery file in no time. All the troubles with your PST file will be fixed in no time. It is a comprehensive way to repair your PST file and recover the data stored in it.
The reasons to prefer Recovee PST repair tool over the traditional way of PST-file recovery are:
- Includes free version which allows you to recover up to 25 emails
- Repairs severely damaged PST repair tool.
- The premium version of the tool enables you to recover unlimited data in no time.
- It supports every Outlook as well as Windows format.